I Don’t Feel Good

September 14, 2005

I’ve spent the last few days laying on my back or sitting in a chair with either a hot or cold pack placed strategically on my lower back.  I hesitate to call it "old age" but I’m certainly not going to rule it out completely.  Last week was when all of my adventures began…

Monday: Labor Day

I started off the morning enjoying an early breakfast with friends at a restaurant on Elliston.  We had to gear up for our big day at the Red Cross.  We were all going to give blood and then some of us were of to kayak the Harpeth River west of town.  After figuring out that I didn’t have a dura mater transplant from my brain surgery and that I was therefore eligible to give my B+ blood to those in need I proceeded to another room with an elderly woman who was going to run through the questions I had answered earlier.  Forty minutes later I was finally approved.  I was being patient with her as she scanned the computer to see if the areas of Thailand and Kenya that I have traveled to were red flags for malaria.  I could have found what she needed in about 3 minutes, but I was happy to see a woman of her age learning how to use the computer.  Finally approved, she told that I would be behind about 25 people.  At that point I had been at the Red Cross for two hours and no one had stuck anything in me yet.  I told her that it was past time for me to be getting on the river with my friends and that I’d just come back later.  She gestured towards an open bed, gave me a look that said, "it’s okay I’ve worked here for 20 years", and told me to just hop on that bed right there.  Confident in my ability to give blood without ever having given blood before, I hopped right up on the bed and the lady stuck me without even a flinch.  I’ve been stuck many times before.  I laid there, pumping my fist every few seconds.  My friend Blaine came by to see how I was, and I was fine…I was fine.

"Blaine, I don’t feel good."
"You don’t feel good?  You need to tell her."

"Hey, I don’t feel good.  Um, I don’t feel good!"

<fade to black>

"Adria!  Adria, I need you to wake up for me!  Wake up for me."
To Blaine: "Go get her a Coke!"

"Do you want Coke or Sprite or orange juice?"
"Coke!" (said in tone that could be conceived as me "freaking out")

By this time Jody and Johni were there looking over me and talking in what I perceived to be muffled voices.  Blaine returned and fed me the Coke through a straw.

Jody to another Red Cross worker:  "Should she take the needle out?

"Oh no, honey, this happens all the time."

I finally got to where I could sit up…for all of two minutes, then had to lay back down to keep from going out again.  That was first time I have ever passed out. 

After finishing the Coke and having an oatmeal cream pie I was off to the river for day of kayaking.  For the record, kayaking is not something I make habit of doing.  So I was sore in all the right places the next morning.

The Harpeth RiverThursday: Opening Night

Thursday evening began the official Metro Parks softball season, and
the Whiffleball Superstars came out in full effect.  It’s been a couple
of years since I played softball, but it was still such a natural thing
to do.  I felt at home instantly, and realized that I have been playing
softball for almost 2 decades.  We posted an 11-3 victory.

Monday: Game Two

Monday night brought game number two and we showed up again in full
force, posting an 8-1 victory.  But, something happened in the top of
fourth inning that I will not soon forget.

The ball was hit between third (me) and short stop (Robb).  I ran
towards it and then slowed to a stop, calling out to Robb that it was
his.  It was, and we made the out.  But when I stopped running, my back
stopped working.  I proceeded, in all my wisdom to bat after that,
twice (idiot).  After the game some of us went out to dinner.  I knew I
was hurt pretty bad, but I didn’t "do" anything.  I just stopped
running and went kayaking and began playing softball again and
continued lifting cases of water and milk jugs at work.  Apparently my
back had had quite enough of what I can only image it perceived as
ridiculousness. As we dined I felt my back tighten and tighten and
tighten and tighten.   I haven’t had pain that has made me cry in a
long time, but as I walked into my  bedroom that night and tried to
move as normal, my back buckled and I slid to the floor, possibly
wondering if I’d ever walk again.  There were tears.  And I crawled on
the floor and rolled into my bed.  I woke up not being able to move. 

I’ve spent two days in my apartment, with some very helpful
visitors. I missed two days of work and tomorrow will be number three.
Which puts me out about $230 including tips.  I go to the doctor
tomorrow and then will be driving home to Indiana for the weekend at
$3.00 a gallon.  I don’t feel good, but I feel better.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: